One of Spain's top guitarists.
Truly a great man of his generation.
Rafael Riqueni (born 1962 in Seville) is one of Spain's top flamenco guitarists. Accomplished from a very young age, at just fifteen years old he was awarded the Ramón Montoya Prize in the Concurso Nacional (National Competition) in Córdoba.
Riqueni has performed extensively as a concert guitarist and has played with people such as Enrique Morente, Anouar Brahem, Al Di Meola, Matías Fray and the Vargas Blues Band. He is also a noted flamenco composer, similar to the style of Albéniz and Turina. His 1987 album simply entitled Flamenco, was recorded live without any special effects or recording studio tricks.
In 1999 he published a book and video teaching the flamenco guitar.
- Juego de niños (1986) Nuevos Medios, Madrid
- Flamenco (1987) Accidentales Flamencos, Germany
- Mi tiempo (1990) Nuevos Medios, Madrid
- Suite Sevilla (1993) Disques JMS, Paris
- Maestros (1994) Discos Probeticos, Granada
- Alcázar de cristal (1995) Auvidis, Paris
Have you seen Rafael Riqueni live or as a teacher?
If so add you thoughts in the comments below...
I have had the pleasure of meeting him at the Foundation Cristina Heeren 🙂